Arts Database Management Program
Nationally, arts and culture organizations are benefiting from shared, cooperative databases of their city's patrons. Houston's Arts Database Management Program (ADMP), launched in 2009 and over 1.6 million unique household addresses strong, is one of the largest. Powered by TRG Arts' Data Center, this service provides three main functions to help participating organizations achieve a number of marketing objectives:
- Create Easy Ways to Exchange Lists: Exchanging lists of active patrons is the cheapest and most effective way to augment your pool of prospective patrons. Cooperative databases frequently establish protocols for list exchange that ensure efficient trades.
- Share List Hygiene Expense: List hygiene, address correction, and merge purging of patron databases are necessary to mount effective direct marketing campaigns. Cooperative database participants share in the expenses for this hygiene, allowing each organization to save significant money. Additionally, the USPS requires an NCOA be done no less than 95 days prior to a bulk automated mailing in order to take advantage of discounts. In light of impending cost increases, a community co-op can help offset some of the expenses.
- Research and Analysis: The cooperative database can be used as a research tool to learn more about arts and culture attendees - as well as their behaviors within the market. Analysis can be performed to obtain descriptive information about patrons (i.e. demographics and psychographics) or information about how attendees interact within and between each participating organization. Ultimately, participating organizations can use this information to learn how best to market to specific constituent groups in order to maximize sales and reduce marketing expenses.
For more information, contact Gulara Alakbarova at 713.527.9330 ex. 117 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Arts Database Management Program is supported in part by Houston Endowment, Inc.
FORMS + RESOURCES
TRG DATA CENTER ORIENTATIONS
ADMP members may register for an orientation with TRG Data Center. In these training sessions, TRG will provide an overview of the Data Center's basic sections along with instructions on how to access detailed training directly in the system.
» Schedule an orientation
“As part of our experience with the Business Volunteer for the Arts program, we at 4th Wall Theatre (formerly Stark Naked Theatre Co.) decided that direct mailing would be a key component in our effort to attract new audiences. Our BVA volunteer, Howard Feldman, did extensive research into what it would cost to buy different kinds of lists to use for these mailings. The cost of the lists, and the relatively poor targeting of those lists dissuaded us at that time from following through on our plan. However, when the ADMP became available, and when we realized the relatively low cost of it, and the potentially amazing targeting (through trades with other, similar arts organizations) we jumped at the chance to try it.
Though it is impossible for us to quantify exactly what effect our first mailing had, we can say that first week sales, which are typically slow for us, were up markedly, and that the production associated with our first mailing was our best performing box office production in our history. We can't wait to use the service for every production we mount this season.”
- Phillip Lehl, Artistic Director, 4th Wall Theatre Company (Formerly Stark Naked Theatre Company)
"The ADMP program has proved critical in the success of our mailing campaigns, helping us reduce mailing costs and target and focus our mailings to the right audience."
- Jordan Witherspoon, Marketing Director, Mercury Baroque
ABOUT TRG ARTS
TRG Arts is a data-driven consulting firm that gets revenue results for arts organizations. TRG guides clients to sustainable revenue with proven pricing and loyalty strategies. They harness the power of data for client solutions and community benefit. TRG Data Center combines and standardizes data from all participating organizations, compiling it in one powerful place for list-building and market research. With Data Center, you can:
- Research your patrons;
- Build targeted direct mail campaigns;
- Save money at the mail house; and
- Train yourself on Data Center 24/7.