REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS: INDOOR MURAL COMMISSION IN MONTGOMERY, TX FOR THE KROGER CO.
Deadline: Monday, February 27, 2017, 11:59 p.m. (CST)
Artist Commission: $8,000
Eligibility: Open to all artists in the Greater Houston area. Priority is given to artists with a connection to the community in which the store resides.
Entry Fee: Free
Project Location: Kroger Store #142 at 20168 Eva Street, Montgomery, TX 77356
PLEASE NOTE: Additional open calls will be made in 2017 for approximately two (2) more murals (to be placed in the Greater Houston area).
Houston Arts Alliance (HAA), on behalf of The Kroger Company (Client), seeks local artists interested in creating large-scale indoor murals. Selected artworks will have high visibility, be prominently displayed within Kroger stores, and use local references to evoke a creative, uplifting feeling that 1) encourages community and 2) celebrates the spirit of the neighborhood. There is no application fee to enter. Three (3) finalists will be chosen based on their work examples—and their connection to the community in which the store resides—as well as receive a $300 stipend for submitting a proposal. One of the finalists submitting a proposal (Artist) will be chosen to create an artwork for each location. Payment to each selected Artist is $8,000.
The Kroger family of stores is excited to give local artists the opportunity to lend their talents in creating an uplifting store experience. The objective is to create a space that encourages community gathering and celebrates the spirit of the neighborhood. This year, their goal is to have an interior mural completed—by a local artist—within 65 of their new stores across the country. Additionally, Kroger hopes to continue this project, in their new stores, for many years to come. Kroger’s philanthropic goals include hunger/food insecurity; education; women’s and children’s health; service to military families; diversity; and the environment.
KROGER’S BRAND PROMISE
We aspire to offer an outstanding shopping experience that is Fresh and Friendly, while promoting Hospitality, Value, Convenience and Simplicity. These are the fundamental building blocks that we hope will inspire our customers to feel Proud, Rewarded, Appreciated, and Confident, and to know they are cared for.
Kroger values honesty, diversity, inclusion, integrity, respect and safety. The company aspires to create a safe store environment that is uplifting, welcoming and friendly and conveys a sense of connectedness to the communities within which we operate. We base every business decision on what we believe is best for our customers and our store associates.
From this Request for Qualifications (RFQ), up to three (3) finalists will be chosen per store. Each finalist will be paid $300 to develop a mural design. The commission for final artwork is $8,000 (inclusive of all materials, delivery, and the panels on which the mural will be painted on).
3. Scope of Work
The artwork shall be safe, durable and of appropriate imagery for view by the public realm. The mural will be created off-site on ½” Masonite, in consultation with the Client and HAA. The selected artist will be expected to receive feedback from the Client on their design and integrate that feedback where necessary. Installation will be performed by a company contracted by Kroger. Dimensions for each mural are 12’-6”W x 5’H, each.
4. Evaluation Criteria
- Artistic quality: Artists or artist-led teams of the highest artistic caliber, as demonstrated by examples of past work
- Responsiveness: Letter of intent, proposal images and final work successfully address the overall goals of the project as well as the core values of the Client—including incorporating references to the area’s history or culture—engaging and inspiring the community
- Project management ability: Applicant(s) demonstrate that the Artist or Artist-led team has the necessary capability to accomplish the project, and to create and deliver the work on schedule
- Durability: Use durable materials that require minimum maintenance. The final work will be resistant to vandalism
- Artists living and working within the Greater Houston area are eligible, with a preference for artists who live in the area around the store location.
- Staff, board, advisory board, committee, and immediate family members of HAA or The Kroger Company are ineligible.
- Applicants not meeting all eligibility criteria will be withdrawn from consideration.
6. Application Requirements
- Resume, no more than three pages.
- Letter of Intent, to include contact information, personal connection to the adjacent community (if any), and a description of how the Artist intends to meet the criteria listed above (1,500 words maximum).
- Work Examples: Up to ten (10) samples of previous work. Only JPEGs up to 5 MB in size will be accepted.
- Image List for all Work Examples, to include Artist name(s), title, date completed (as applicable), dimensions, and material/medium.
All documents should be in (at least) 12-point font, single-spaced, with a minimum ½” margin. If selected, Artist(s) will be required to sign an agreement for the project with Kroger and with HAA, and follow project guidelines. A sample agreement is available by request. Selected Artist(s) will be required to provide sample designs for up to two (2) artwork options for final selection and approval.
To submit, visit https://houstonartsalliance.submittable.com/submit.
- Friday, February 24, 2017, 5 p.m. (CST): Deadline for questions
- Monday, February 27, 2017, 11:59 p.m. (CST): RFQ deadline
- Tuesday, February 28, 20176: Notification of the three finalists
- By Friday, March 3, 2017: RFP issued
- Thursday, March 30, 2017: Finalist proposals due; artist notification
- By Friday, April 7, 2017: Contracting with Artist is complete; Artist and Client meet to review artwork and discuss feedback
- By Friday May 5: Revised design due
- May 12 – July 28, 2017: Off-site creation of the Montgomery, TX mural
- By July 28, 2017: Installation of the mural at the Montgomery, TX location
- Early August 2017: Opening Celebration for the Montgomery, TX store
PLEASE NOTE: This schedule is subject to change.
Any questions pertaining to this RFQ should be submitted in writing—via email—no later than 5 p.m. (CST), Friday, February 24, 2017 to email@example.com. Required subject line: “Kroger Mural RFQ 2017.”
TEMPORARY PLACEMENT OF ART ON CITY OF HOUSTON PROPERTY
Are you looking to place temporary works of art on City of Houston (City) property? Learn about the application and review process here.
For information on placing temporary works on Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) right-of-ways, email firstname.lastname@example.org.