Dick Dowling Monument Conservation
Photo courtesy of Houston Arts Alliance
Frank Teich, Dick Dowling Monument, 1905. White Carrara marble statue on Texas gray granite base, 28’ x 10’ x 10’. Hermann Park, 6001 Fannin.
The monument was commissioned by the Dick Dowling Monument Association, a committee comprising members of the Dick Dowling Camp, United Confederate Veterans; the Ancient Order of Hibernians; and the Emmet Council, a Catholic organization. Each group represented an important facet of Dick Dowling’s life. Among those who participated in fund raising for the monument were George Hermann; John Henry Kirby; John T. Browne, Former Mayor of Houston; Adele Looscan; and William P. Hobby.
Conservator: Conservation Arts Group
Completed: July 2009
Funding Source: Percent for Art – City of Houston, General Services Department
The monument to Dick Dowling was the first public monument in the City of Houston, unveiled on Saint Patrick’s Day, March 17, 1905. It was originally placed in front of Houston City Hall, which was located at the time on Travis Street between Congress and Preston (what is now Market Square Park). The sculpture has been relocated twice in its history and has been restored on numerous occasions. In 2008-2009, previous damage to the left hand was repaired, and the white Carrara marble sculpture surface was cleaned using a slow-misting water rinse and an architectural algaecide. Fractures were filled and previous fills that were failing were removed and re-applied. Newer losses in material were also filled.