HAA JOINS THE GLOBAL #GIVINGTUESDAY MOVEMENT WITH MATCHING DONATIONS FOR 11 AREA ARTS ORGANIZATIONS
December 5, 2016
HOUSTON (December 5, 2016) – Through power2give.org, an online donation platform dedicated to raising funds for arts and culture organizations, Houston Arts Alliance (HAA) joined the global #GivingTuesday movement by matching donations for 11 Houston-area nonprofits.
The annual National Day of Giving, held this year on November 29, 2016, kicked-off the holiday giving season and harnessed the power of individuals, inspiring people to collaborate and improve their local communities by giving back to the charities and causes they support.
Through the unique crowdfunding platform, HAA began matching donations at 9:00am (in quantities up to $250 per donor) for projects located within the City of Houston. A total of $10,000 in matching support was provided to the 11 organizations.
This year, the $10,000 in matching funds was depleted in 35 minutes. As of Wednesday, November 30, 269 individual donor contributions—totaling more than $44,000 in gifts—were made (not including the matching funds). Most campaigns will continue throughout December. Two of the projects, presented by Stages Repertory Theatre and Houston Youth Symphony, have already met and exceeded their fundraising goal.
The projects include:
- Apollo Chamber Players: “Apollo in CUBA!” bringing the first American chamber music ensemble to perform and record in Cuba
- Stages Repertory Theatre: “A Surprising Twist on the Wild West” supporting the regional premiere of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
- American Festival for the Arts: “Support for Creative Classrooms” helping fund the purchase of new iPad Pros for AFA’s year-round and summer programs
- Kinetic Ensemble: “#GivingTuesday – Kinetic Immersion” collaboration between students from several schools on a world premiere piece
- Silambam Houston: “Telling contemporary stories through traditional art” helping fund the Summer 2017 performance that blends poetry, music, and dance
- Hits Theatre: “Make a Donation, Make a Difference” helping support kids and youth through the power of theatre
- Aperio, Music Of The Americas: “Help Aperio Fund a New Work by Jorge Calandrelli” fund supports commissioning fees and strategic planning for this project
- Houston Youth Symphony: “HYS Coda Music Program” purchases and repairs instruments for after-school orchestra program
- The Printing Museum: “Too Hot for Press” helping fund a new A/C unit
- River Oaks Chamber Orchestra: “ROCO Anytime, Anywhere” supporting ROCO Anytime, Anywhere project to provide access to music anywhere
- 4th Wall Theatre Company: “Support CRY HAVOC and Shakespeare for Veterans in Houston” seeking support to bring Stephan Wolfert’s CRY HAVOC to Houston
Houstonians are encouraged to continue donating to these projects through the holiday season.
To learn more, visit: https://power2give.org/curator/houston-arts-alliance-1.